fredag 17 november 2017

First demo

We had our first demo of our project today! However, we had some problems merging our things before the demo. Linnéa and I sat yesterday at VIC studio and thought that we would just do some fine-tuning before the demo today but found several things weren't in order. We found some problems with sounds, lightning,  the player falling through the floor when falling from one level to the next, the controllers could not grabb objects (the rigidbody and collider components had "mysteriously" disappeared on the controllers) and that most buttons weren't functional anymore. Linnéa and I sat at the studio with the equipments for about five hours and tried to fix some of these problems as well as putting together all the different rooms into the same scene. The rooms that were combined was Lukas (1st floor), Olivias (2nd floor) and mine (3rd floor). We decided on showing these three rooms during the demo as Linné and Thibault had other responsibilities and the last group member hadn't done much in their room. Since Linnéa and I found these problems the day before demo we told the rest of the group members that same evening. Together we decided it would be best to meet up earlier at VIC on demo-day so that we could fix them together and hopefully fix them faster.
 

And so the demo-day arrived! We all met up at 9 (except for one member that was booked the first hour) and Linnéa and I explained some of the problems we had encountered the previous day. Together we fixed some of the sound problems before we decided to move the equipments to the front of the classroom/studio where there was more space for us to move around. Then we got stuck when trying to fix the buttons as it was Thibault responsibility. When he came at 10 he started fixing the buttons as well as fixing the sliding floor. Since I then had booked a meeting at at 11, I had to leave but when I came back at 12:30 most of the things, that Linnéa and I had pointed out, now worked! The only thing I fixed after I came back was so that the cauldron destroyed the objects that were thrown into it (was a programming error on my part in the script which I fixed with some tips from Thibault). 

During the demo, we first showed our room and then had our class-mates try it out for themselves. It was really cool that they seemed to like the game! However, there were still some errors that we didn't manage to fix (i.e objects getting stuck to the "hands"). We will try to fix these problems soon. We also got comments that the rooms where too different from each other and that it should be more coherent. I agree and when discussing the comment after class we all decided to make the rooms in a more similar style and feels to the third room (the room I made for the demo). After the lecture I suggested to the group that we could have a level where the book shelfs (that is spiralling down the wall, see picture underneath) instead could be a dragon (since it ties in with the fantasy theme). I thought it could be fun to interact with the dragon, for example throwing things in the dragons mouth (kind of like the existing cauldron in my room) or putting things in the dragons claw. Perhaps even making it a level where the player should be careful/quiet with the objects (not throwing them around and making too much sounds) to not wake the dragon. However, the guys didn't seem to like that idea and wanted to continue doing things with buttons.

I started to think about including more puzzle-game elements since the first two rooms are just clicking buttons to get to the next level. I feel like there should be more to the game than just clicking buttons in VR! That was main the reason to why I added the Cauldron in the first place. We got a comment from one of the players that he though the best thing with the game was cauldron, which made me really happy and made me think that the player should be able to do more of that. Therefore I would like to perhaps include the cauldron in other levels as well or include something else (that isn't a button). 

Before going we split the work that we decided should be done till next week. Lukas would start on the Business plan, Thubault and Nicolas would work on the buttons (not sure on what) and Linnéa, Olivia and I would make new designs of the rooms so they would be more coherent. So hopefully I'll get to try add other elements to the game! 



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Final presentation

Worked with Olivia yesterday on the website during the evening so we would have a nice website to how when we presented our game today. The ...